Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sarah Palin and My Peace of Mind

Ok, I'll say it. I don't agree with Sarah Palin on many issues. Yesterday I read about her stance on gay marriage and it really set me off. The excerpt below was taken from the Tue., Oct. 21st edition of The International Herald Tribune (this morning's quotes coming from the AP about Ms. Palin's answers to a 3rd grader about the role of the VP deserves to be blogged about by someone more politically savy than myself):

Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin says she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a break with John McCain who has said he believes states should be left to define what marriage is.
In an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network, the Alaska governor said she had voted in 1998 for a state amendment banning same sex marriage and hoped to see a federal ban on such unions.
"I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that's where we would go. I don't support gay marriage," Palin said. She said she believed traditional marriage is the foundation for strong families.


Yes, we are all entitled to our own beliefs and should, in my view, be able to express what we are thinking freely, without judgement. I hope to not be judgemental as I continue this post.

I have been thinking about peace a lot lately. How peaceful am I? What am I projecting into the world? Do I 'walk the talk'? Am I embodying peace? When I read the above quote from Sarah Palin, a woman who is in a position to possibly lead this country, I thought, "That's not promoting peace! That idea of hers is divisive. She's crazy! Please make her go away! Doesn't she realize the power of her words? She knows nothing about the world! Does she know any gay people?" And on I went. I called two friends (both straight) and ranted. Then I stopped the internal madness very suddenly. I was not at peace. Why was I angry? Does Sarah Palin have that much power over me? Hell no! I am a gay man in a loving relationship with another man. Does my happiness, my peacefulness depend on Sarah Palin, her viewpoint, and the viewpoint of those who think like her. No! So, back to peace - the peace of mind that I have about myself, my ability, about this country, etc., and the conviction that I have that peace belongs to me. If I think peace, than I am peace. Ahhh!

Thanks Sarah Palin!

1 comment:

Bluesplashy said...

I hold in my mind the image of Obama talking about what "turned him on". He became very animated when he described a situation of getting several different people with different view points together around a table and bringing them to agreement. Obama is a powerful example to follow toward peace both in me and outside me. That's Nodrama Obama to you Joe!!